The first major change was when the famous Tramway linking the town to Victoria Bridge Railway Station closed in 1938 after over 50 years of service. Twenty years later the railway itself shut up shop. The Fair at Killeter, immortalised in song, was up to recently only a memory until it was resurrected a few years ago by a magnificent cross-community effort. Now it is an annual event. .
The school which commanded the 4-road junction at the top of the town and from whose windows the scholars watched to warn the Master of the approach of an Inspector is now the Scholars' Bar. The block of buildings in the middle of the town has gone and been replaced by a very smartly landscaped Centre with an elegant copper centrepiece. The Priest's Lane has been widened, a car park added and a new roundabout replaces the speed ramps above Dinny's.